6.13. Alternative Grading Options

6.13.1. Credit/No Credit Option

After a TU student earns 32 semester hours at Oglethorpe, or after an ADP student earns 30 semester hours at Oglethorpe, the student may register to take a lifetime maximum of three courses on a credit (CR)/no credit (NC) basis. These courses cannot be taken in the same semester and cannot be used to satisfy general education requirements (see Sec. 7), or requirements for the student’s major or minor. The student must be in academic good standing (see Sec. 6.22.1) and must register for the CR/NC designation by the close of business on the last day to withdraw from individual session courses, after which the CR/NC designation cannot be changed.

Credit (“CR”) is defined as a grade of “D” or better and No Credit (“NC”) is defined as a grade of less than “D”. Neither CR nor NC will have an impact on the student’s GPA. A CR grade will grant credit for the course while the NC grade does not.

A student may request that the CR designation be changed to the letter grade reported by the instructor through a form provided by the registrar’s office that requires consultation with the relevant program coordinator, the student’s advisor, and other relevant staff. This will only be done if the course (with the letter grade) is a course necessary in that major, minor, or other program, either as a program requirement or as a pre-requisite for a course in that program. Even if a CR course is converted back to a letter grade, it still counts as one of the student’s uses of the CR/NC option. If the exact letter grade cannot be determined, then the converted CR goes back to the lowest possible value, a D.

6.13.2. Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory Option

Some courses are designated in their course description to be graded as Satisfactory (S) or Unsatisfactory (U) for all students taking that course. Satisfactory is defined as a grade of “C-“ or better. This policy does not limit the number of courses which may be taken on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory basis if such courses must be graded in that fashion. Special Topics courses may be designated as S/U at the instructor’s discretion.